Shoes, accidents, and dogs put a lot of wear and tear on carpets. But we must keep it clean because it gives so much warmth and comfort underfoot. Regular vacuuming and thorough cleanings can help extend any carpet’s life, including wall-to-wall and rugs. The good news is, maintaining your carpet doesn’t have to be complicated! We’ll go over the basics of carpet cleaning and give you some pointers on making the job easier and keeping your carpet cleaner for longer.
Should You Clean Your Carpets Every Day?
How often you clean your carpets depends on the amount of traffic your carpets experience daily. For a family that spends most of their time away from home, you should consider vacuuming once a week. In high traffic areas or for a family that is always home, consider vacuuming two or more times weekly. If a family member has an allergy, you should aim to clean your carpets as often as possible.
Ten Carpet Cleaning Tips
After a long day of work, there is nothing better than coming home and ending your day on a good note. If you have carpeting in your home, dirt and grime from the outside world will be tracked in your shoes and clothes. If you want to maintain a clean environment for yourself or others that visit, it’s essential to take care of your carpets. Here are tips on how to do just that!
- Vacuum your carpets regularly — Set your vacuum to a low height setting and use the hose attachment for getting into tight crevices, corners, and edges of carpeting. This will ensure that any dirt or dust gets picked up before it becomes embedded in the fibers. Use short strokes going with the fabric grain instead of long motions across it, so you avoid creating bad brush marks on delicate surfaces like woolen rugs.
- To clean hard flooring under furniture, remove all loose items from beneath pieces of furniture such as ottomans, coffee tables, etc., then spray an area rug wash solution onto one side at a time, scrubbing heavily and allowing ample drying time between sections; finish by vacuum – cleaning the rug.
- Cleaning hard flooring around furniture: If you have high traffic areas where it’s challenging to keep your tiled or wood floors spotless, place a washable area rug in front of the couch, for instance, and use only water and light soap on this surface; make sure not to rub vigorously with the carpet brush as this could cause wear spots over time.
- To wash window treatments like curtains or drapes, ensure that they are 100% dry first before storage, so there is no chance of mold growth. Remove promptly from windows after cleaning them with vinegar, and lemon juice (a natural fabric softener), then hang up immediately away from direct sunlight until completely dry.
- It is also essential to take care of your carpet. Regular vacuuming removes dirt, dust, and hair that accumulates in the spaces between fibers without damaging them. To remove heavy stains like wine or coffee, use a solution of half water and half white vinegar mixed with an equal amount of hydrogen peroxide (a natural bleach).
- For tips on upholstery cleaning, vacuum regularly before attempting any type of cleaning for best results. Use distilled water if possible when using a steam cleaner so as not to shrink or damage fabrics. If you need tips for tackling tough pet odors, try baking soda sprinkled over the area followed by gentle brushing with an old toothbrush dipped in dishwasher detergent diluted in water; this will help break down organic compounds.
- With tips on carpet cleaning, if you have a shaggy rug or one with a thick pile, then invest in a good vacuum cleaner. A regular upright is not designed for this type of deep clean; also, avoid using any attachments that will scratch the surface, such as beater bars and brushes. If your machine has an upholstery brush attachment, it should work well when used gently over these types of surfaces.
You now know what to do to keep your carpets looking their best. We hope you’ll share this post with friends and family members who need help with carpet care so that they can enjoy the benefits of a clean home too! Don’t hesitate to call Super Kleen Carpet Cleaning Services. We are always ready to jump and save your carpets for you.